First, your data is safe.
Second, you won’t have to purchase another copy of the application. If you get to a point where it looks like you’ll need to purchase again, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beginning February 14th, many of our users who purchased from the Mac App Store have experienced an issue where the application crashes while opening. What we know, so far, is this is another certificate issue on Apple’s end, preventing applications from properly validating a Mac App Store receipt. Again, your data is safe. The issue is with the application, but your data lives in a separate document and will come right up when the application begins working properly.
The official word from Apple is that, in general, restarting the Mac in question should resolve the issue. In addition, for OS X El Capitan users, Apple says updating to OS X 10.11.2 or later is required, and OS X Snow Leopard users should be sure the Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard is installed. While the situation we have here is technically similar to what happened last November, it’s not quite the same and, being on Apple’s end, not something we could’ve prepared for. The good news is Apple has renewed the certificates involved in validating Mac App Store receipts through at least 2023, so we won’t see circumstances like this for some time, if ever. Thank you for your patience and understanding!
We’ve learned a restart does not always resolve the issue – reinstalling the application itself does. Even if you’ve already reinstalled, please follow each step below to be sure the reinstallation is performed correctly.
DO NOT USE A THIRD-PARTY TOOL, LIKE CLEANMYMAC, TO REMOVE AN APPLICATION BEFORE REINSTALLING.
Repeat: DO NOT USE A THIRD-PARTY TOOL, LIKE CLEANMYMAC, TO REMOVE AN APPLICATION BEFORE REINSTALLING.
To reinstall one of our applications:
- Click the Finder icon on your Dock, the row of icons that’s usually at the bottom of your screen.
- Go to the Go menu at the very top of your screen, above all open windows, and click the Applications menu item.
- Drag the application icon (not the entire Applications folder – just the application you need to reinstall) to the Trash. This is the only item you need to drag to the Trash or delete from your Mac.
- If the application icon just snapped back to where it was before you dragged it to the Trash, you may be in Launch Pad instead of the Applications folder. Please go back to step 1.
- Restart your Mac.
- Go to the Mac App Store, click the Purchased button at the top of the window, and click the Install button next to the application. Be sure you’re signed in with the same Apple ID used to purchase the application by going to the Store menu at the top of the screen, above all open windows. If you don’t see your purchase, it may be hidden. Visit https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202320 to learn how to access hidden purchases.
Reinstalling from the Mac App Store should completely resolve the issue, so if it doesn’t, please go back to step 1 and try to reinstall once more.
Using a version from our website should work around the issue but it’s a last resort, particularly for CheckBook and CheckBook Pro users. Installing the opposite version of CheckBook from what you’ve been using will result in the appearance that all data has been lost but it’s just that the two apps don’t know where the other stores its data and when you get the proper version installed everything will appear as before. If you need to go this route to get back in business, please do so, just be very certain that if you use CheckBook or CheckBook Pro you download and install the same:
- Audiobook Builder: http://www.splasm.com/downloads/audiobookbuilder/Audiobook Builder.dmg
- CheckBook (be certain your current copy of CheckBook has a green pen in its icon before installing this): http://www.splasm.com/downloads/checkbook/CheckBook.dmg
- CheckBook Pro (be certain your current copy of CheckBook Pro has a blue pen in its icon before installing this): http://www.splasm.com/downloads/checkbook/CheckBook Pro.dmg
- Return Labels: we’re sorry, but a version isn’t available from our website. Please get in touch with us at email@example.com. Thank you!